Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dialogue 1: At The Office

Here's the first in a series of annotated dialogues that I've been working on.  I hope to create and upload audio recordings of it soon.

Direct Link to fully annotated document:

Dialogue 1: Ku Biro (At The Office)

Text without Annotations:


Office Visit: Ku Biro (at the office)
A: <knocks>
<kudodora>  { to knock }
B: Come in!  … Ah, B.  Welcome.
Injira! ... Ah, B. Kaze.   { Enter ! ... Ah, B. Welcome }
A: Good Morning.
Mwaramutse.  { it became morning (?) }
B: Good morning. How is it going?
Mwaramutse neza. Gute?   { it became morning | well . How (is it going) ? }
Other acceptable alternatives:
Bwakeye neza?  { it became morning | well ? }
Amakuru?  { news ? }
Amakuru maki?  { news | what ? }   
Amakuru yawe?   { news | your ? }
Amakuru y’imisi? (amakuru ya imisi?)  { news | of | days ? }  (meaning: how have you been?)
Urakomeye?  { you are strong ? }
Uraho? (uri aho?) { you are | there ? } (meaning: how are you?)
Murivyura?  { (do) you get yourselves up (without help) ? } (meaning: are you well?)
A: It’s good.
Ni neza.  { (it) is | good }
Other possible responses:
Ndakomeye { I am strong }
Ndaha (ndi aha?)   { I am | here } (meaning: I am fine)
Ndivyura.  { We get ourselves up (without help) ? } (meaning: I am well?)
B: Good.  Do you have time now? (or Can you talk? or Can you help me?)
Sawa.
Urafise umwanya ubu nyene?  { you have | time | now | immediately ? }
Urafise umwanya ngo umfashe ubu nyene?  
{ you have | time | in order to / to | to help me | now | immediately ? }
Urashobora kuvuga?  { you can | speak ? }
Urashobara kumfasha?  { you can |to help me ? }
B: Yes, I have time [or I can help you now].  What brings you here? What do you need?
Ego, ndawufise.  { Yes, I have time }
Ndashobora kugufasha.   { I can | to help you }
Ugenzwa namaki?  { brings you | what ? }
Ukeneye iki?  { you need | what ? }
A: I need medical insurance.
Nkeneye uburyo bwo kwivuza.   { I need | ways | of | to seek medical treatment }
B: Okay, have a seat.  We can fill out an application.
Sawa, icara. Dushobora kwuzuza impapuro.   { Okay, sit.  We can | fill out | papers }
A: Thank you.
Urakoze.
B: Did you bring ID?
Wazanye ID?
Wazanye karanga muntu?  { did you bring | what identifies / points to | a person ? }
A: Yes, here it is (or Here is my ID)
Ego, ngiyi.    { yes, here it is }
ID yanje iri ngaha.  { ID | my | is | here }
Karanga muntu yanje iri ngaha  { what identifies | a person | my | is | here }
B: Thank you... do you have your Green Card?
Urakoze... urafise Green Card?  { Thank you ... do you have | a Green Card ? }
A: No, I do not have a Green Card.
Oya, simfise Green Card.  { No, I do not have | a Green Card }
Oya, nta Green Card fise. { No, no | Green Card | I have }
Oya, ntayo nfise. { No, no-it | I do not have }
B: No problem. Did you bring your I-94?
Ntangorane    { no problem }
Ntakibazo   { no problem }
Wazanye I-94?  { did you bring |  (your) I-94 }
A: Yes, here you go.
Ego, akira.   { yes, accept/receive }
B: What is your phone number?
    (inimero za) telefone yawe ni kangahe.
{ ( the number | of ) telephone | your | is | how many ? }
A: My telephone number is 123-456-7890.
Telefone yanje ni 123-456-7890.   {  telphone | my | is | 123-456-7890 }
B: Thank you. What is your address?
Urakoze. Uba he(he)?  { Thank you.  You reside | where ? }
A: My address is 123 City St, PGH, PA 15222
Mba kuri 123 city... { I reside | on/at | [address] }
B: Okay, I'm finished. Take this to the Welfare Office.
Sawa ndahejeje.  { okay | I am finished }
Jana ibi ku biro vya welfare.  { take/go with | these | to | office |of | welfare }
A: Thank you! I will take it tomorrow.
Urakoze. Nzokijana ejo.  { Thank you.  I will take it | tomorrow }
B: Anything else?
Hari ibindi ukeneye?  { is/are there | other things |  you need ? }
A: No, thank you. I am leaving.
Oya, urakoze. Ndagiye.  {  no, thank you.  I am going }
B: See you later.
Tuzosubira.
A: Have a good afternoon.
Ugire umuhingamo mwiza.  { have | afternoon | good }

1 comment:

  1. I just realized that though this dialogue contains many instances of "thank you", nowhere does it say "you're welcome." That is, of course, "urakoze gushima" (thank you for thanking) or "korerwa" (be served).

    ReplyDelete