Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Dialogue 4: Meeting a Friend

Direct Link to fully annotated document: Dialogue 4: Meeting a Friend


Text without Annotations:


Meeting a Friend:
A: Good Morning!
    Mwaramutse!
    { it became morning (?) }
B: Good morning. What’s up?
Mwaramutse nesa.  Amakuru?
{ It became morning | well. | News ? }
A: It's going well! How are you?
Amakuru ni meza, bite? ( or Amakuru yawe?)
{ news | is | well , | how (is it going) ? }   or   { news | yours ? }
B: I'm good. Do you know C?
Nisawa. Urazi C?
{ (I’m) good. You know | C ? }
A: No. Hello, C. My name is A.
Oya. Amakuru, C. Izina ryanje ni A.
{ No. | news, | C . | Name | my | is | A }
C: Pleased to meet you.
    Amakuru.
    { News. }
B: C is my cousin.
    C ni muvyaranje.
    { C | is | my cousin . }
A: Where are you from?
Uturuka hehe?
{ you come from | where ? }
C: I am from Burundi.
(Jewe) nturuka mu Burundi.
{ (I/me) | I come from | in | Burundi }
A: Do you live in Pittsburgh?
Uba Pittsburgh?.
{ you reside | (in) Pittsburgh ? }
C: Yes, I live in East Liberty.
Ego, mba muri East Liberty.
{ yes , | I reside | in | East Liberty }
A: Do you like East Liberty?
Urakunda kuba muri East Liberty?
{ you like | to reside | in | East Liberty ? }
C: Yes, I like it.
Ego, Ndahakunda.
{ Yes , | I like it (that place) }
A: Where do you work? What do you do?
     Ukora He? Ukora Iki?
    { you work | where ? | you work | what ? }
C: I work at Giant Eagle.  I cook food there.  I am also a student.
    Nkorera Giant Eagle / Nkora muri Giant Eagle. Ndateka. Kandi ndi umunyeshule.
    { I work for | GE / I work | in | GE .  | I cook. | Also | I am | a student . }
A: Wow! You do a lot.
    Oh! Ukora vyinshi!
    { Wow! | You do | many things . }
C: Yes, I am very busy. Yes, I have no time. / No, not very many.
    Ego, nta mwanya mfise. / Oya, sivyinshi cane.
    { Yes , | no | time | I have . / No, | not many things | very . }
A: Giant Eagle is far from East Liberty. Do you drive?
Giant Eagle iri kure ya East Liberty. Uratwara umuduga?
{ GE | is | for | from/of | East Liberty . | You drive | a car ? }
C: No. I don’t have a license. I ride the bus.
Oya, nta ruhusha mfise. Nhoresha bus / Ngenda na bus.
{ No, | no/negation | permission | I have . | I use | bus / I go | with | bus . }
A: Well, I’m in a hurry, I must go. It was good to see you.
    Ndihuta, ntegerezwa kugenda. Nyviza kubonana.
{ I’m in a hurry, | I must | to go . | It’s good | to see each other . }
C: It was good to meet you.  Goodbye.
    Nvyiza ko duhuye. Nagasaga.
    { It’s good | that | we meet .  | Goodbye . }
B: See you later.
Tuzosubira.
{ See you later . }

No comments:

Post a Comment