Saturday, June 1, 2013

Dialogue 2: Making a Doctor's Appointment

Here's the second of the fully-annotated Kirundi dialogues that I've been working on.  Dialogue 1 was posted on April 18th.  Soon to come:

Dialogue 3: Gufungura ivyo ku Murango (Going to Lunch)
Dialogue 4: Meeting a Friend
Dialogue 5: Making and Appointment

Direct Link to fully annotated document:


Text without Annotations:



Dialogue 2: Isango na Muganga (Making a Doctor's Appointment)
(following A & B pleasantries...)
A: I want a doctor's appointment:
Nshaka isango na muganga.  
{ I want | appointment | with | doctor }
B: Okay. Are you sick?
Ntangorane. Urarwaye?  
{ No problem. | You are sick ? }
A: Yes. My chest hurts and I am weak.
Ego. Igituntu kirababara kandi nta ngonga mfise.
{ Yes. Chest | hurts | and/also |no/negation |strength| I have . }
B: That isn't good. I will call now to make an appointment.
Ivyo sivyiza. Reka rero mpamagare kugira ngo nsabe iyo isango.
{ Those | not good . Let | then | me call | in order to | I request | the | appointment . }
B: Who is your PCP?
Umuganga wawe ni nde?
{ Doctor | yours | is | who? }
A: My PCP is Dr. Smith:
Umuganga wanje ni Dr Smith.
{ Doctor | my | is | Dr. Smith }
B: What is Dr. Smith’s phone number?
(Nimero za) telephone yiwe ni kangahe?
{ Number | of | telephone | his/her/its | is | how many / what number ? }
or
urafise nimero za telephone yiwe?
{ Do you have | number | of | telephone | his ? }
A: Dr. Smith’s phone number is 987-654-3210.
Ni 987 654 3210
{ (It) is | … }
B: Which hospital is he at?
Akorera mu bitaro ibihe?
{ he/she/it works at | in | hospital | which  ? }
A: He is at Allegheny General Hospital.
Ari Muri Allegheny General Hospital.
{ He/she/it is | in/at | Allegheny General Hospital }
B: When can you go to the hospital?  
Ushobora kuja kwa muganga ryari?
{ You are able | to go | at/to | doctor | when ? }
A: I can go in the morning on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday..
Nshobora kugenda kuwambere, kuwakabiri, canke kuwagatutu…
{ I am able | to go | Monday , | Tuesday , | or | Wednesday … }
B: Okay. Please wait while I call.
Ntangorane. Ubishoboye, Rindira mpamagare.
    { No problem . | If you can , | wait | I call }
A: I will wait.
    Ndarindira.  
{ I wait }
...
B: Your appointment is the day after tomorrow at 9:00.
Isango yawe ni hirya y’ejo satatu zo mu mugitondo.
{ Appointment | yours | is | the day after tomorrow | nine | of | in | morning }
A: Thank you!
Urakoze.
{ Thank you }
B: You’re welcome.
Nawe urakoze gushima.
{ You too | thank you | to thank (for thanking) }

No comments:

Post a Comment