Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Not Knowing, Hearing, Understanding; A Conditional Thank You

First off, there are a great many recent notes that I should like to add to this page, but can currently only be found in the text and footnotes of the dialogues.  Therefore, I'd encourage the interested reader to check them out straight away, if he or she has not already done so.

Not Knowing:
  • urazi ___ ? -- do you know _____ ? (a person or fact)
  • oya, sinzi. -- no, I do not know ("si" negating first person verbs, "n" meaning "I")
  • ura ntuzi -- you | do not know ("ntu" negating 2nd person verbs)

Not Hearing or Understanding:
  • urumva? -- understand? (from "kwumva" -- to hear or understand)
  • sinumva -- I don't understand
    • "si" (negation) + "n" (I) + "umva" (understand)
  • sindavyumva -- I don't understand them (e.g. words, maths, etc.)

A Conditional Thank You:
  • uzoba ukoze -- "...a conditional thank you.  In other words, you know I appreciate what you will do for me but you have [yet] to do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment