Monday, February 11, 2013

Another Greeting, What a Baby was Doing, Negation, Races Illustrating Pluralization

Another Greeting:
  • As an alternative to "bite?" -- "how (are you doing)?" one can ask:
    urakomeye? -- you (are) strong?
    • ura -- present tense, second person
    • komeye --  from "gukomera," "to be strong"
  • Instead of "ni meza" one replies:
    ego, ndakomeye -- yes, I (am) strong.
    • nda -- present tense, first person 

What a baby was doing:
  • gutwanga -- to laugh or smile 

Nagation:
  • Should you not be feeling strong if someone asks you "urakomeye?" you could reply 
    • oya, ndarwaye -- no, I am sick 
    • oya, sinkomeye -- no, I am not strong  
      • si -- negation 
      • n -- self; first person present tense
  •  This same pattern applies for many verbs:
    • nzoza -- I will come  |  sinzoza -- I will not come
    • ndakunda amata -- I like milk  |  sinkunda amata -- I do not like milk
  • nivyo canhe sivyo? -- true or false?
    • The "vyo" is a challenging combination to my English ear and tongue.  My teacher uses "sivyo" in conversation frequently, to mean "isn't that so?" or "right?"  It sounds to me like "siv-zyu", and "nivyo" sounds like "niv-yu."

Races illustrating pluralization:
  • Burundians in America might use the following words to talk about people of different races:
    • umuzumbu/abazumbu -- a white person / white people
    • umwirabure/abirabure -- a black African person / black African people
    • umublack / abablack -- an African American person / African American People
      • this is simply the incorporation of American English "black" into Kirundi grammar, and may be pronounced, according to speaker's English fluency, as "umu/ababarake."

1 comment:

  1. HI thank you for puting this , its helping
    me alot I can hear kirundi and swahili but
    its hard to speck it ..thank you im learning
    alot can tell me where you learn this

    ReplyDelete