Thursday, February 28, 2013

Another Saying, Being Late, Apologizing

Another saying:
  • yet another Kirundi version of "slow and steady wins the race":
    bukebuke nirwo rugendo -- little by little | is the | trip
    • nirwo -- is the, compound of ni (as is often used to mean "it is") and rwo (which can mean "the" or "that")
    • rugendo -- trip, from kugenda, "to go"

Being Late:
  •  ndaza gucererwa -- I'm going to be late
    • ndaza -- I'm going to [verb]
    • gucererwa -- to be late
    • be careful: the word "ndāza" (long a) by itself means "I'm going to come today")
    • this phrase is present-progressive tense but suggests something about the future.
  • ndacerewe -- I'm running late; I'm in a hurry (because I'm late)
    • from gucererwa -- to be late
    • this phrase uses present tense but suggest something about the future (I will be late)
  • ndacerewe -- I am late

Apologizing:
  • mbabarira -- I'm sorry
  • ngirira ikigongwe -- have for me | forgiveness
  • gira imbabazi -- have | mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment