Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Questions, From the Internet

Here are a few questions that came up in my review that I need to ask my teacher about:

  • how do I ask: "how much is it / the bill / your paycheck?" and how would someone respond?
  • having learned how to ask "can you [verb]?" ("urashobora [verb]?"), how then would I answer "yes/no I can/not [verb]" ? [ANSWERED, see next post...]
  • if "ukeneye nde?" means "you need | who?" and "iki ni igiki?" means "this | is | what?", then does "ukeneye igiki?" mean "you need | what?" and would this be an appropriate way to ask "what do you need?" [ANSWERED, see next post...]
  • if so, would "ushaka igiki?" mean "you want | what?" [ANSWERED, see next post...]
  • what is the most appropriate way to ask "what do you need?" or "how can I help you?" [ANSWERED, see next post...]


Here are a few useful phrases that I found on other websites about Kirundi that I also need to confirm with my teacher:

  • ingo -- come!
  • bangwe -- stop!
  • amahera / amafranga -- money
  • sindabizi -- I don't know
  • ndibaza -- maybe
  • cane -- a lot, very (as in "urakoze cane" -- "thank you very much")
  • canke -- or
  • kuki? -- why?
  • kuko -- because
  • ryari? -- when?
  • vuba -- soon, recently 
  • ndihuta -- I'm in a hurry
  • ndarwaye -- I'm sick/ill
  • wewe - you
  • twebwe - we (how is this pronounced?)
  • ico -- that

Sources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment